Background and Context
- In September 2017 we measured the initial score at 573
- In March 2018 we measured the score at 557
- In November 2018 we measured the score at 643
Afternoon Working Sessions
After lunch, attendees broke into groups to seek actionable opportunities to address three objectives, which come from the recent EACOS (Edmonton Advisory Council on Startups) Position Paper, namely:
- Build a Strong Community
- Increase Service Provider Alignment
- Improve Entrepreneur Readiness and Access to Capital
The sessions focused on building upon previous work done by the Innovation Compass and EACOS. The Compass Report maps quite nicely to the EACOS Priority Areas, with the exception of the Compass recommendation about the U of A's IP policy. EACOS also focused on items broader than the Compass, which largely looks at what can be done by building resources, changing policies or building infrastructure. These are all important items, but EACOS included calls to action about how and why they believe that entrepreneurs should be engaging in the ecosystem that is built for them.
We challenged the attendees to take a positive, forward-thinking attitude on these sessions, rather than focusing on negative perceptions. Each of the three working groups focused on one of the three priority areas mentioned above and the individual tables took the lens of a particular pillar and identify either existing community initiatives that could be supported to seek improvement or identify gaps in the ecosystem where action could be taken.
We collected a lot of feedback was collected from these sessions by the volunteer reporters which are now compiling into a separate post that will dig more deeply into the suggestions and comments.
In the post-event survey, we asked attendees "Is there anything YOU will do differently after this summit to improve our ecosystem?" Some answers included:
- "As a Service Provider I really just want to be more of a connector, make sure our program is known and provide help to anyone that requires while connecting those I cannot assist."
- "I want to make sure that my voice is positive and constructive. There has been a lot of complaining and vitriol and has been for the last year across the community... Change is slow. It's easy to complain. Harder to suggest ideas and possible solutions."
- "I will continue to speak loudly about the great things happening in Edmonton!"
- "Collaborate more with other service providers"
- "Try to be more positive and let go of past offences"